This is the ADVANCED SEARCH PAGE
- there are more forms on the EASY SEARCH
(Advanced Book Exchange)
is a quick and easy way to locate Hard to Find books (50 million titles).
It networks together thousands of bookstores, many too small to have their
guys boast a huge collection of out-of-print, hard to find books, rare, autographed
and used books. Voted the top
online bookstore by Yahoo in 2000, Forbes magazine 2001. They supply Amazon!
- Select Book Class "All"
to include new books in your search
more than $50 and get free shipping within North America
their collection of the latest
book reviews from Salon.com, Esquire, The New Republic and The Atlantic
- recommend titles, and read what others have suggested - it's called Daily
typically has 300,000 used books and magazines for sale at any one
time. A smaller book-only auction site is at BooksbyBid
Some Tricks and Ideas
it isn't rare - Powells will have the cheapest copies
Use Bookfinder to meta-search
Use Abebooks for regional
- Let SearchBiblio
automatically meta-search for a particular book every day, to save you from having
to do it.
- Finished with a book? Set it free via BookCrossing
of Congress database to find the ISBN and other details about out-of-print
books. Or the new ISBNDB site
- Look for
a copy in archives
- Not a complete set? - buy/sell/trade odd volumes from
encyclopedias, dictionaries, author works etc at SetMaker
20 million used books at Biblio.com
millions of out-of-print books using the BibliOZ
Book Search wizard
I have no
idea where they get their results from, but they have more used books than Alibris
or AbeBooks, and that is saying something
Biblion has about 500 dealers worldwide and over 2.5 million books listed.
the two biggies: Advanced Book Exchange and the Amazon-owned Bibliofind,
as well as Alibris, Antiqbook (Netherlands), Biblion (UK),
BookAvenue.com, JustBooks (European), Half.com, YourBooks.com,
Bibliology and others...
- Classic search is good if
you are expecting few results, if you have searched for author and title
brings up similar results to Bookfinder, but the process is different - faster,
but with less verbose info
meta-searches 72 stores, new and used, and includes Amazon reviews
of Congress database to find the ISBN of most out-of-print books
contains 126 million bibliographic records
type in an author or title, and Vendio (formerly known as AuctionWatch) will search
online auctions for you (and can keep watching for you). Most of the results will
come from eBay, Yahoo Auctions and Amazon.com Auctions. Other
sites searched include Excite Auctions, Up4Sale, boxLot,
CityAuction, and Auction Universe.
- If you are serious about antique books, use this search engine
- nothing cheap or common here
Rare Books & Manuscripts - Early Printed Books, Substantive Manuscripts.
U.S. & Latin America, Mexico & New World Languages, Hispanica, Histories
& the History of Ideas, Travels, Law, Religion, & Bibles (all prior to
Rare Books - they have a bunch of stuff, like signed first editions
- San Francisco company with a database of millions of
used books, manuscripts, maps, photos, prints, and autographs. FREE
SHIPPING to USA addresses on orders over $50
Book Store - New York City's legendary bookstore's rare book section.
- Books - very similar to eBay, except there is no auctions happening - you just
buy and sell. 10,000+ used books listed
Book Central - run by Oregon Books
Sale Finder - lets you locate area events that are usually sponsored by "friends
of the library" volunteer groups. Comprehensive, USA only.
- at the Antiquarian Booksellers Assoc. of America you can search more than 480
World - 2 Million Used Books in stock. Free Shipping in USA, $2.97 Worldwide.
- German site (in English). Over 5 million books from 1000 antiquarian dealers
in 18 countries (but mostly German)
- Italian site listing books from dealers all over Europe (site in English)
- French site. In French!
- French site. In French!
- in French - claims to be the biggest French site for used books
& Finde Bücher - Austrian used book metasearch engine
Libro - Spanish, in Spanish
UK - within the world famous Grays Antique Market, and with 70 book dealers
displaying some 14,000 books
Booksellers' Network - a small cooperative of independent UK booksellers
Clique - links to some 400 UK booksellers with searchable websites
Book World - over a million out-of-print books for sale by secondhand booksellers
in the world-famous booktown of Hay-on-Wye on the border between England and Wales,
and by hundreds of other independent booksellers throughout Britain.
- leather books, maps, prints and first editions
- a collective of International stores, with 2.3 million out of print and rare
books listed. Quite a good percentage are not listed on the other services
- a big listing of used book stores around the world
- collective of more than 100 used and antique book stores
- 714 Sellers with over 4 million items items listed for sale. In English, German,
French & Spanish.
- Book Avenue
- Independent network of 740+ used book stores, including many collectors and
smaller booksellers that don't use ABE
League of Antiquarian Booksellers - Over 2000 booksellers in 20 countries,
with a search form that can accept foreign characters
- 440 independent book sellers, 5 million books
at Hay - If the book exists, they will do their best to find it. Their motto
is "We Never Give Up"
- Their search routines utilise both computer database matching and traditional
Book Auctions - the only auction house in England devoted entirely to the
sale of books and manuscript material. Auctions every fortnight.
Book Online Auctions - largest book auction house in the western United States.
Conducts continuous on-line auctions of rare & antiquarian books.