Single Words and Sentences
Use these for accurate definitions and translations
Some of these keep working when you click on links
world's most widely spoken languages
Estimates of how many people
speak a certain language can only ever be generalised, and can vary quite a lot.
As an example, English estimates can vary from 275 to 450 million, Spanish from
149 to 300 million plus, Hindi from 150 to 350 million...
Also, the definition
of speaker can vary. Some surveys of languages only give information
on its native speakers. Others count native speakers and secondary speakers as
Some languages have large populations of speakers but are almost exclusively
in a few countries. Then again, other languages have relatively small populations
of native speakers but can be used in many different countries as an official
or national language.
Top languages by population:
- Spanish (332,000,000)
- English (322,000,000)
- Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
- Arabic (174,950,000)
- Portuguese (170,000,000)
- Russian (170,000,000)
- German (98,000,000)
- French (79,572,000)
The Summer Institute for Linguistics (SIL) Ethnologue Survey (1999)
The only way to get a perfect translation for bodies of text is to get an
expert to do it. Machines are still amateurs, but they are faster.
English Abroad - take an Online
TEFL course for just $295
A - Afrikaans,
Albanian, Algerian, Arabic
B - Bengali,
Biscaya, Breton, Bulgarian
C - Cambodian, Cheyenne, Cherokee, Chorti,
Creole, Croatian, Czech
D - Danish,
- Egyptian, Eskimo, Esperanto, Estonian, Early English
- Farsi, Finnish, French, Frisian
- Gaelic (Scottish/Irish), Gamilaraay, Greek, Guarani
- Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hungarian
- Icelandic, Ilongo, IñupiaQ (Eskimo), Indonesian
- Kamilaroi, Khmer, Korean, Kreyol, Kurdish
- Latin, Latvian
M - Malagasy, Malay,
Maltese, Maori, Mingo, Mongolian
- Nauruan, Norwegian, Ojibwe
P + Q
- Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Quecha
- RapaNui (Rongorongo), Romanian, Romany, Russian
- Samoan, Sanskrit, Scottish, Serbo-Croatian, Serbian, Slovak, Star Trek, Swahili
- Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Tolkien, Turkish
- Ukranian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Wagiman, Yiddish
MLTT Language Identifier
It can guess 47 languages!
a sentence of 5 or more words, respecting traditional upper and lower case distinctions.
- translate English, Spanish, and German words with audio pronunciations
- Online Dictionaries: between English and (deep breath) Albanian, Arabic, Bulgarian,
Chinese, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Polish,
Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Turkish, and Yiddish languages.
electronic dictionaries - read about the amazing
device that can speak and listen
- specialized software covering dozens of languages
Labs - translate any HTML, ascii or RTF files on your hard drive. English,
German, Spanish, French, Italian
- lots of technical and specialized dictionaries for many languages
Dictionary - links to on-line dictionaries for 260 languages
Dictionaries - many are translators, 1200 links on 1 page!
Sign Language - over 1270 terms
in Translation - translates your phrase via 5 languages to create an often
- translates web pages into parody languages, like Redneck, Jive, Cockney, Elmer
Fudd, Swedish Chef, Moron, Pig Latin, or Hacker.
- for converting English into TXT, msg, chat lingo, net lingo, acronyms, and emoticons
Project - archive of 1250 languages
Most Widely Spoken Languages - by country and total speakers (deeper info
here) - also try the Global
Type Foreign Language Characters
Guide to Writing Systems - Symbols and characters used by languages
the Name - Etymology of first names: Find out the meaning of someone's name,
then you are able to translate it! Example: Robert means "bright fame"
and in German becomes "heller Ruhm". Also try Think
- that can translate on the fly
- The site offers resume translations for people who wish to have a multilingual
- (in beta) Once you have enabled it (click on the Preferences link at Google),
many search results will have a "translate this page" link. This feature
is currently translating pages published in Italian, French, Spanish, German,
and Portuguese into English
Top MisTranslations - AltaVista has compiled this list of the funniest mistranslations
to celebrate the fifth birthday of Babelfish, its popular online translation
tool. The translation of idioms and set phrases can lead to some humorous results.Translation
company - professional translators offering technical and commercial translation
services in English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, and German.